processing in speech technology
This question is far to big to be answered in a FAQ posting. Here
are some WWW resources and books which cover the area well.
Tony Robinson's Course Notes
Dr. Tony Robinson of the Engineering Dept of Cambridge University
has put his Speech Analysis course notes on the web.
The base page is
There is information on the following:
Joseph Picone's Course Notes
Joseph Picone of the
Institute for Signal and Information Processing (ISIP)
at Mississippi State University has put two sets of course notes on the web:
EE 4773/6773: Digital Signal Processing
The course covers sampling, frequency analysis, z-transforms,
filter design and more. The WWW site provides the
syllabus, assignments, some source code
data, exams, homework and solutions, lecture notes and more.
EE 8993: Fundamentals of Speech Recognition
The course covers background probability and phonetics/acoustics,
speech signal analysis, dynamic programming, dynamic time warping,
hidden Markov modelling, language modelling, neural networks, etc.
The WWW sites provides the
Signal Processing Home page
Processing Home page has information on a range of DSP issues.
It includes references to a range of software and much more.
Books and other References
There are many good books which discuss signal processing for
- Digital processing of speech signals; L. R. Rabiner, R.
W. Schafer. Englewood Cliffs; London: Prentice-Hall, 1978
- Voice and Speech Processing; T. W. Parsons. New York;
McGraw Hill 1986
- Computer Speech Processing; ed Frank Fallside, William A.
Woods Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall, c1985
- Digital speech processing : speech coding, synthesis, and
recognition edited by A. Nejat Ince; Kluwer Academic Publishers,
- Speech science and technology; edited by Shuzo Saito pub.
Ohmsha, Tokyo, c1992
- Speech analysis; edited by Ronald W. Schafer, John D.
Markel, New York, IEEE Press, c1979
- Applied Speech Technology Edited by: Ann Syrdal (AT&T Bell Labs,
Holmdel, New Jersey), Raymond Bennett (Ameritech, Hoffman
Estates, Illinois) and Steven Greenspan (AT&T Bell Labs,
Murray Hill, New Jersey). Publisher:
- Speech Communication: Human and Machine Douglas
O'Shaughnessy, Addison Wesley series in Electrical Engineering: Digital
Signal Processing, 1987.
- Discrete-time processing of speech signals; John R
Deller, John G Proakis, John H L Hansen; Macmillan 1993.
- Signal processing of speech; F J Owens; Macmillan 1993.
Section 2 of the
comp.speech FAQ Home Page.
Submit Information :
Last Revision: 13:18 07-Aug-1996